Recent Articles

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

ART INTERVIEW: KONOMI TANI


Konomi Tani is an Osaka-born who has recently been enjoying some success. Her painting was accepted for the 207th Choice Prize and exhibited in Dogo Onsenart, both in 2018. Her art book “Eenon” was published in 2019, and she did illustrations and cover art for the Japanese version of Conger Beasley Jr.’s book, “A Little Story About Maurice Ravel” (Happa-no-kofu) published in 2023. Her artwork was also selected as the main visual image for Sakyo Wonderland and Okazaki Wonder Market for Spring 2024. 

Today (August 21) she opens a one-month show entitle "Soft Garden" at Tokyo's Hiromart Gallery (details here).

Tokyo-Met: Why did you become an artist?

Konomi Tani: When I was just drawing doodles in my notebook, someone who saw them suggested that I try drawing pictures with the idea of creating a work of art. That's when I started drawing and presenting pictures.

TM: There is a childlike -- or primitivist -- quality to your art. Are you secretly a highly technical artist who has chosen to paint this way?


Konomi Tani: 
Because my starting point for drawing was doodling, I like images that are born without any artificiality and with a relaxed feeling, and expressions that convey a strong feeling towards the drawing, so I create with the desire to cherish these feelings. I don't have any technical skills, so I just do things my own way. In a way, I feel like I have given up, but I just continue to create what I think is interesting. I believe I have honed my own techniques for turning interesting ideas into reality.

TM: Which artists have influenced you?

Konomi Tani: Otona Keikaku (Theater Company), Shiriagari Kotobuki, Mizuki Shigeru, Sigmar Polke

TM: How do you choose your subject matter and themes?

Konomi Tani: I choose something that suits my mood and the situation at the time from things that are familiar to me and that I like.

TM: One element of Japanese taste is an attraction to unskillfulness. For example Japanese music fans like idols who sing badly. Can you explain this?

Konomi Tani: I wonder if we're attracted to the human element? There is no such thing as perfection, and depending on the environment in which one is raised, many people may feel distressed when they are exposed to only refined and well-organized things.


TM: Your art is very cozy and heart-warming. Do you see your art as a substitute for people who may be lacking in human connection?

Konomi Tani: Due to my own personality and past experiences, I tend to build excessive walls between myself and others, and I hope that I can make people who feel the same way feel a little better. I also believe that drawing and looking at pictures should be open to anyone, and that means that, for me, too, it is something that is open to me, and drawing has saved me. So I'm grateful for that, and I would be very happy if my drawings could inspire someone and make the world a little more cheerful.

TM: What I love about your art is its organic nature. You seem to be painting without a plan or intention. This creates a sense of freedom. How do you feel when you create art?

Konomi Tani: I'm excited.

TM:
What are your goals for your career as an artist? Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Konomi Tani: I believe that my paintings will have a greater impact on people's lives than they do now.

TM: In addition to your paintings what other things do you make or create?

Konomi Tani: Drawings, sculptures, illustrations, original goods, etc. I would also like to create picture books and animations in the future.

TM: Is it easy or difficult to make a living as an artist?

Konomi Tani: I think it would be difficult because I don't think there are many (Japanese) people who want to buy paintings themselves. That's why I think it can be fun to think of ways to bring images (expressions) into people's lives. I guess that’s also art. I wish (I could create) more places and opportunities in Japan where people can easily experience art from an early age.


1 comment:

Please feel free to comment. All comments are moderated.

Pages