TOKYO ART PICKS (APRIL 2024)


Tokyo is undoubtedly the art capital of the World in terms of people actually attending art shows, so here is Tokyo Met's "quick n' messy" picks for April!

As the name suggests, YOKOHAMA TRIENNALE comes around every three years, a perfect showcase of the state of the contemporary art world. I always go and I always end up hating it, but more importantly I really, really enjoy hating it, so I guess I'm winning. Anyone trying to get their kicks from liking it, however, is, I am sure, going to struggle. It runs all over Yokohama, like a one-wheeled rickshaw, with too many artists and venues to mention, until June 9th. PRICE: ¥2,300

Something twee, pretentious, and arcane that can be more easily enjoyed by hating it.

Read more here.

Next, something "old school" that still works as art, almost a hundred years after its shock value has worn off. GIORGIO DE CHIRICO: METAPHYSICAL JOURNEY is a major retrospective of the artist who basically founded surrealism and brings  together more than 100 works from all round the world. The fact that it's held at the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, a venue that reminds me of a red-brick British university from the 1970s, kind of words for once. PRICE: ¥2,200


Metaphysical Muse (1918)

Read more here.

Contemporary art that takes itself too seriously (see Yokoham Triennale above) is unforgivable, but contemporary art that has a sense of humour or a craving for the absurd is a different thing altogether, so I am more than happy to recommend SAEBORG “I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU” / TSUDA MICHIKO “LIFE IS DELAYING” at the Museum of Contemporary Art until July 7th. While Tsuda (pseud-a?) should probably be at the Triennale, Saeborg is more my cup of tea. Described as "an imperfect cyborg that is half human and half toy" she "creates latex bodysuits" to participate in performances and exhibitions. PRICE: ¥1,600

Contemporary Art done right

Read more here.

And finally, here's one show I DON'T recommend. Normally I like pretty much anything at Ueno's always quaint Yayoi Museum, but HIROMI MATSUO "RETRO MODERN  FANTASIA" (Apr 6 - Jun 30) seems a waste. Matsuo's smooth, sleek "retro" images are insipid and soulless, and have no real taste of the past. These images could just as easily have been cooked up on an AI program. PRICE: ¥1,o00

Insipid

Read more here

Comments